Monday, May 27, 2013

Sort of hurt my leg.


I'm doing pretty good, however I sprained my MCL this Saturday on my right leg so I've been taking it fairly easy and been limping around the last few days but it is getting better so don't worry. I saw a doctor this morning because I was worried I tore my meniscus again but she said it's most likely a sprain and to just take some ibuprofen and if it continues to see a physiotherapist and referred me to one but I think that it will be fine. I don't even know how it happened to be honest. Every Friday all of the Elders and Sisters here run a YSA activity and try to get all of the young single adults out whether they are members or less actives or investigators or potential investigators or whoever they are as long as they are young single adults. We get about 10-15 out including us but they really enjoy it and have a lot of fun. Anyways Elder M and I were in the Gym shooting around a basketball and playing 21 and weren't playing aggressively/competitively or anything because we were still wearing our missionary clothes and were just waiting for everyone to arrive. All I did was jump to ally-oop a ball that was going off the rim and when I jumped and was in the air my knee made a popping sound and kind of hurt a little before I even landed. It was really strange and doesn't make sense because we weren't even doing anything and before I left I played basketball at the Y a lot more competitively and even at the MTC we played basketball and volleyball a lot more intensely and I had no problems  at all. My guess is because my legs have been somewhat stiff lately seeing as we walk around the whole city everyday and often are running if not sprinting to make it to our bus stop a lot and we still do our workouts in the mornings sometimes and sometimes they involve legs. But yeah I don't know. It's feeling a lot better and should be fine so don't worry about it.

Brandon is quite a bit bigger than 12,000, no one here really knows. Everyone I ask either doesn't know or give me different numbers; my guess is it's about the same size  maybe a little bigger, maybe a little smaller than Medicine Hat but I don't really know. The guy I just asked right now said around 50,000 which is probably correct.

But other than my knee exploding everything has been pretty good. We have to fend for our selves and have only been fed by members once since I have been here. And I don't know of any future dinner appointments as of right now but we are surviving none the less.

One of the main things we do here are service projects. We try to find and do as many as we can. Since I've been here we have helped a member out by painting his shed, putting up some rain-gutters, and helped him take some stuff to the dump. Every Thursday (and sometimes Wednesdays) we serve people at the soup kitchen, then help out sorting stuff at the food bank.  This Wednesday Elder M and I are going to donate blood. Last Saturday morning we helped out at a food drive by packing food boxes and what not. Really enjoy it.

We also are teaching a lot of less actives and trying to reactivate them and work with lots of potentials and we have a few other investigators. One of which I challenged to baptism on Wednesday and He accepted and set a baptismal date for July 6th, which is really exciting. Even though we haven't seen him since. He’s from Brazil and is going to University here in Brandon and speaks Portuguese. He can speak English pretty good and we can understand him pretty well for the most part but there is still a language barrier sometimes and we're not sure if he always completely understands everything we teach him so it'd be nice if Brandon came down next time we see him and they can speak Portuguese together.

It's a really different province here. A lot poorer. The roads are kind of like they are in Saskatchewan and it's really flat, no hills here. Most of the houses are over 100 years old. The City of Brandon is very multicultural. Lots of Native Americans, lots of Spanish and Asians because there is a huge Maple Leaf Meat plant out here and all their workers are imported in because they can pay them so little, so people come and work there for a few years and then sometimes get a job  somewhere else but the Spanish population is constantly growing. It makes it hard sometimes because there are so many people we see that we can’t even talk to them because of the Language barrier. That's why there are the Spanish speaking Elders I suppose.

But it's great, loving almost every moment of it, except for blowing up my knee and going into some pretty nasty houses but it's great!

Love you All!

This what we eat all day everyday